[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner works but , scanimage -L not listing devices (root & nonroot)

Max Resnick max.resnick at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:54:02 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone -

-Scanner Model is CanoScane 9000F - and is supported via Pixma.
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html
-I'm running Debian Wheezy 64 Bit.
-I've also tried on Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit.
-Scanner runs in windows just fine
-libusb-dev is installed via apt
I've ran with the distros installed package 1.0.22 (via APT), I've
also installed lasest from GIT.  ./configure reports usb support
but lusb0_usb.h doesn't. I'm not sure if lusb0_usb is my issue?

I've got outputs from the following w/ debug enabled if applicable as root
and non-root user
-sane-find-scanner
-scanimage -L

Ultimately, I feel that somehow scanimage -L isnt't checking for USB
devices.  I'm not sure how to force it via pixma.conf?

Again, thanks so much

##scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.22##

##sane-find-scanner##
##Ran as root, Running as root recognized bus address but fails to report
the name of the device at bus address###
  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1908 [CanoScan]) at
libusb:001:005
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.
##Ran as non root user##
  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x1908) at libusb:001:005
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

##sudo SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3 scanimage -L##
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 3.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.16.2
[pixma] sanei_bjnp_find_devices:
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device

##SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3 scanimage -L##
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 3.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.16.2
[pixma] sanei_bjnp_find_devices:
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
[pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device

Max Resnick
Max.Resnick at gmail.com
631-896-8357