[sane-devel] Canon pixma mp280, not sane supported.

erik erik.grtz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 11:58:58 UTC 2012

Hello all

First of all, if any replies, please send me a cc as i am not a member
of this list.

Secondly, I had Sane working brilliantly under ubuntu 10.04 with the
backend version 1.0.16

now, after doing a completely fresh install of 12.04 i really cannot get
Sane to work.

here are some proofs.

scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

output
sane-find-scanner

   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1746 [MP280 series])
at libusb:002:006
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

output
sudo scanimage -L

Advices from http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux:

My /etc/ld.so.conf
only contains the line
include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

locate libsane.so.1 after sudo updatedb
/usr/lib/libsane.so.1
/usr/lib/libsane.so.1.0.24

Yesterday, I had for one moment the scanner working, then I installed
Xsane through the command line, which give me a lot options of which I
didnot know which one to choose. Since then, no success at all. Anyway,
now installing xsane will mean it will downgrade to 1.0.22.

If, one day, I will have SANE running, is there a way to install XSane
without downgrading?

and a last question, quoting from the README.linux

"It may help to set a symbolic link /dev/scanner to the respective device if
automatic detection does not work."

how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Erik.

Linux ho-erik 3.2.0-34-generic-pae #53-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 11:11:12
UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux