[sane-devel] Rebase rather than merge, was: Canon MX700 by using LAN Connection

Nils Philippsen nils at tiptoe.de
Fri Dec 21 14:46:33 UTC 2012

Hi Louis,

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 16:28 +0100, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> This issue should now be fixed in git. Please test again

I just noticed that you merged your private and the master branch for
this commit, unfortunately merging two branches clutters up history. I
think that simple changes like this (or even private side-branches)
should rather be rebased on top of the upstream branch -- this allows
for a mostly linear history. Merging should be reserved for longer-lived
public side-branches.

To avoid unwanted merging, I have this in my ~/.gitconfig file:

[branch]
    autosetuprebase = always

Existing branches need to get something like the following snippet in
their respective .git/config files:

[branch "master"]
    rebase = true

HTH,
Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Wilhelmstraße 22 / D-71229 Leonberg
nils at tiptoe.de / nils at redhat.com
Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?