[sane-devel] Two identical scanners found

Andreas Dick andudi at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 29 09:20:50 UTC 2012

dear sane devel list

I do really not know if this is the right place for this question, but let me
try to explain:

I have a new HP Officejet with the libusb (hpaio) driver running perfectly, but
I am not happy with the fact that since I changed from lenny to wheezy, the
scanner is found twice when running scanimage -L or even with xsane!

root at wheezy:~# sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x5912 [Officejet Pro 8600]) at
libusb:005:002

root at wheezy:~# scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/Officejet_Pro_8600?serial=CN261BK2W705KD' is a Hewlett-
Packard Officejet_Pro_8600 all-in-one
device `hpaio:/usb/Officejet_Pro_8600?serial=CN261BK2W705KD' is a Hewlett-
Packard Officejet_Pro_8600 all-in-one

the bad thing is that xsane allways asks what scanner I want to use, even if
they are identical!

since I did not found any similar isue by googling around the world, I am
asking me what I do different to others? Can maybe one on this list explain me
how I could find out where to dig? Is this sane related or could it be a
hplip/hpaio problem?

thanks for any help!

Andreas