[sane-devel] Fujitsu S1100 tester found

Fox web at leberger.biz
Thu Feb 16 07:30:53 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I have decided to contribute to the open source community and I will
test one of the scanner, the Fujitsu S1100 which use the epjitsu
backend, because you are searching for testers ... so, here I am.

But I am a little confused since I don't know the real state of the
actual backend.

On this discussion thread of ubuntu, on July 11th, 2011, the member
evolution124 talks about a patch and gives a zip file containing the
patch to apply which is attached to this mail since you have to
subscribe to ubuntuforums to get it :-( . He names it epjitsu-21.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1678335&highlight=s1100

On the second page of the thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1678335&highlight=s1100&page=2
there is also a script to work it out and do all the job of getting
the sane backends, patching, compiling and installing it.

I have cloned the development git repository and the latest version of
epjitsu.c is v20 dated from 2010-02-09 which was done by MAN and there
is no mention whatsoever of the v21 in there !?!

Soooooooo, what I want to know is what is the real status of this
backend? And if you were aware of this unofficial v21 patch.

But first, I will have to receive this new scanner (in a couple of
days) and I am sure we will make it work but you will have to guide me
a little before I can be settled to test it the way you want it to!
For example, who is MAN? Is he still the maintainer of this specific
backend? Does he still work on it? Do you have testing procedures or
is it just: plug it, scan 2 pages and shout 'Hurray' it's working?

By the way, I am an old timer (asm 6502 anyone?) and still a techie
and knows a lot about computers, coding, development cycles, testing
and production environments since it's my job since 1988. I am a also
a Linux fanatic since ... Slackware 0.9 ... just to let you know.

Awaiting orders and words of wisdom from sane gurus.