[sane-devel] How to submit new scanner backend code

Bruce Karsh brucekarsh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:11:56 UTC 2012

Thanks for adding this printer.

I tried it and it works. I have a couple of comments about the doc.

1. Canon sells this device as the Canon 882, but it reports itself as
an 880. (880 probably refers to a family of simialr printer models,
not a specific model).  Someone who just bought one wouldn't
necessarily know that. So is there a way for the docs to also mention
882?

2. In pixma.desc it says ADF empty buggy. For the record, I can
confirm that it is still buggy. I tried scanning using the ADF with
the ADF empty and xsane threw up error dialogs. Adding documents
didn't help. Turning the printer off then on didn't help. When I
restarted xsane, it could no longer contact the printer. What worked
was to unplug the printer, plug it back in, then start xsane. I ran
strace to try to diagnose the problem. Strace showed that xsane could
not connect to port 8612 on the printer. I'm guessing that this is the
same bug as in PIXMA_870, not something newly introduced.