[sane-devel] C++ in sane backend

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:50:16 UTC 2012

"We plan to support/expect our driver to work for only few latest
versions of these platforms"

The Sane standard and supporting docs are somewhat dated. I would be
surprised if anyone was still building sane on IRIX for instance, so I
see your point.

However, we have seen many cases of sane being ported to new platforms
we did not expect (Windows, Embedded Linux ARM). These efforts were
made easier by sane-backends using only simple C, and not requiring
lots of external libraries. I daresay, with only a modest effort, you
could find simple alternatives to your C++ libraries, since a scanner
driver typically does not involve complex code.

So, I see no reason to change the rules just yet.

allan