[sane-devel] Support for CanoScan 9000F and others: 48 bit flatbed scan

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Tue Jul 10 15:09:26 UTC 2012

Am 07.07.2012 12:14, schrieb llarevo at gmx.net:
>>> On my Fedora 17, 75 dpi flatbed lineart does only work with root
>>> privileges, while all other scan modes (including 75 dpi flatbed grey
>>> and color) work without root-privileges. Cf. pixma.log and
>>> pixma.root.log, each containing the xsane start and one 75 dpi lineart
>>> scan attempt as user (pixma.log) and as root (pixma.root.log).
>>>

>> Next week I will install Fedora17 in a VM and try to debug this issue.
>> Which version do you have, 32 bit or 64 bit?
>
> 64 bit. Please note, that I'm not a developer. So I'm not sure, if I did
> something wrong, which causes the mentioned behavior. I use xsane from
> Fedora repository, after setting the library path via ldconfig
> to /usr/local/lib64 for xsane and simple scan.

On a fresh installed 64 bit Fedora 17 I installed SANE as follows:

1. install missing package collections with the application
   Add/Remove Software:
   Development Libraries
   Development Tools
2. install missing packages with the application Add/Remove Software:
   libusb-devel
   xsane
3. download SANE from git in a terminal:
   mkdir ~/workspace
   cd ~/workspace
   git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
   cd sane-backends
4. configure SANE in the same terminal used before:
   BACKENDS="pixma" ./configure --libdir="/usr/lib64"
   => I only need the pixma backend
   => I want to overwrite Fedora's SANE library
   => If you want to overwrite Fedora's executables, docs,
      localisation, etc., have a look to other parameters of configure:
      --bindir, --sysconfdir, --datadir, etc.
5. compile and install SANE in the same terminal used before:
   make && sudo make install
6. copy udev rules in the same terminal used before:
   sudo cp tools/udev/libsane.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
7. create group scanner and join this new group with the application
   Users and Groups
8. logout and login again and reconnect the scanner or simply reboot

My CS9000F works fine in this installation.

Cheers,
Rolf