[sane-devel] Schedule for release of sane-backends 1.0.23

Аl Воgnеr sane-ml at corr.eu.org
Sun Jul 22 19:10:34 UTC 2012

Am Sa, 21 Jul 2012 12:48:00 CEST schrieb Rolf Bensch:

> > I mentioned it already a few times, eg
> >
> > Datum: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:14:32 +0200
> > Von: Аl Воgnеr <sane at ml1104.corr.*.*>
> > An: sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.*
> > Betreff: Re: [sane-devel] Canon 9000F
> >
> > I don't know what I could do wrong. The problem exists with Opensuse
> > and (X)Ubuntu.
> >
> > After compilation _nothing_ works as root.
> >
> > A few hours later
> >
> > usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner
> > found USB scanner (vendor=04a9 [Canon], product=0x1908 [CanoScan])
> > at libusb:003:002
> >

> > 2 days later with my last compilation:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L
> >
> > "No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
> > different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
> > detected by the sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please
> > read the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
> > manpages)."
> >
> > There have been times, when scanimage -L worked after a few hours
> > and after 3 days. And I did nothing except waiting.

> This is an old problem: how to install SANE from git beside standard
> libsane. There is no easy to read manual available.

In the meantime (without doing anything):

/usr/local/bin/scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A91908' is a CANON Canoscan 9000F multi-function
peripheral

It works as user too, after changing /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

> We should add something like the description below to README.linux. I
> tested this with (K)Ubuntu (10.04, 12.04), LinuxMint (LMDE, 12, 13)
> and Fedora 17.
>
> (1) Find the location of standard libsane. It's different for each
> distribution. On 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 it is here:
> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'. On 64 bit Fedora 17 it is here:
> '/usr/lib64/'.
>
> (2) Decide where you want to install the new SANE version.
>
> (2.1) You can overwrite standard libsane. Then you need to do some
> extra configuration for SANE: './configure
> --libdir="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"'. Here you need to use the path
> found in (1). If you also want to replace the binaries, configuration,
> translations, etc. please read './configure --help'.
>
> (2.2) You can set symbolic links to the new driver. I assume that the
> path found in (1) is '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/' and new SANE has
> been installed to '/usr/local/lib/':
> cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/libsane.so.1.0.23 libsane.so.1
> sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.la .
>
> (3) Copy 'tools/udev/libsane.rules' to '/etc/udev/rules.d/'.
>
> (4) To avoid using the scanner with root rights, add your user to the
> group 'scanner'. If this group doesn't exist you must create it (I
> needed to do this in Fedora 17).
>
> (5) Reconnect your scanner to the USB bus and logoff/login if you
> needed to do (4) or just reboot.

After reading your explanations I don't understand, why scanimage
recognizes the scanner after some time / days without doing anything? I
don't see a permission problem in this case (since I did nothing) or
something changes the permissions automatically.

I compiled with default values. While it didn't work for a while with
Ubuntu 12.04, it works now without problems, as I described in my
earlier mail.

BTW I have a Nikon LS50 too. How do I compile drivers for the Canon
9000F and the Nikon LS50, but not the other drivers?

How must I change:
BACKENDS="pixma" ./configure

--
Αl