[sane-devel] Schedule for release of sane-backends 1.0.23

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Mon Jul 23 21:21:45 UTC 2012

Am 22.07.2012 19:37, schrieb Аl Воgnеr:

> In the meantime (without doing anything):
>
> /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L
> device `pixma:04A91908' is a CANON Canoscan 9000F multi-function
> peripheral
>
> It works as user too, after changing /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
>

>> We should add something like the description below to README.linux. I
>> tested this with (K)Ubuntu (10.04, 12.04), LinuxMint (LMDE, 12, 13)
>> and Fedora 17.
>>
>> (1) Find the location of standard libsane. It's different for each
>> distribution. On 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 it is here:
>> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'. On 64 bit Fedora 17 it is here:
>> '/usr/lib64/'.
>>
>> (2) Decide where you want to install the new SANE version.
>>
>> (2.1) You can overwrite standard libsane. Then you need to do some
>> extra configuration for SANE: './configure
>> --libdir=usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"'. Here you need to use the path
>> found in (1). If you also want to replace the binaries, configuration,
>> translations, etc. please read './configure --help'.
>>
>> (2.2) You can set symbolic links to the new driver. I assume that the
>> path found in (1) is '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/' and new SANE has
>> been installed to '/usr/local/lib/':
>> cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>> sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/libsane.so.1.0.23 libsane.so.1
>> sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.la .
>>
>> (3) Copy 'tools/udev/libsane.rules' to '/etc/udev/rules.d/'.
>>
>> (4) To avoid using the scanner with root rights, add your user to the
>> group 'scanner'. If this group doesn't exist you must create it (I
>> needed to do this in Fedora 17).
>>
>> (5) Reconnect your scanner to the USB bus and logoff/login if you
>> needed to do (4) or just reboot.
>
> After reading your explanations I don't understand, why scanimage
> recognizes the scanner after some time / days? I don't see a permission
> problem in this case or something changes the permissions automatically.
>
> I compiled with default values. While it didn't work for a while with
> Ubuntu 12.04, it works now without problems, as I described in my
> earlier mail.

Maybe after a reboot your system prefers the "new" lib in
/usr/local/lib/. I don't have an other explanation.

Please check the used pixma backend with e.g.: 'SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=2
/usr/local/bin/scanimage -L'. The response must contain this line:
'[pixma] pixma version 0.16.4'.

Which pixma backend version does standard scanimage use?

If there still are unclear relations between system's libsane and the
desired one, you should follow my explanations.

> BTW I have a Nikon LS50 too. How do I compile drivers for the Canon
> 9000F and the Nikon LS50, but not the other drivers?
>
> How must I change:
> BACKENDS=pixma" ./configure

I found Nikon LS50 in coolscan3. Then you can use this line for
configuration: 'BACKENDS="pixma coolscan3" ./configure'

Cheers,
Rolf