[sane-devel] Completing epson backend deprecation

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 12 10:37:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

Seeing the talk about a (long overdue) release this morning and getting
yet another user support request where the epson backend had been set up
to recognize an unsupported model, I thought it might be time to finish
that backend's deprecation.

Looking at the NEWS file:

  New with 1.0.20, released 2009-05-03:

  * [...]
  * Epson backend deprecated, use epson2

I see it is commented out in backend/dll.conf.in but apparently that
does not keep people (including binary package maintainers?) from
activating it.  It's been three years since deprecation, isn't it about
time it was removed from ALL_BACKENDS in configure.in?  Or at least not
compiled by default?

FWIW, there are more backends in this situation.  The same release
mentions the coolscan2 backend as well, suggesting to use coolscan3.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962