[sane-devel] Canon LiDe 210 Genesys backend gone wrong

Armin Stebich coding at stebich.de
Thu Jun 14 20:58:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I got my LiDE 210 successfully running after having the same problem.

The scanner worked correct on my Laptop with Ubuntu 11.10 32-Bit and
SANE 1.0.22. On my new Desktop under 12.04 64-Bit and SANE 1.0.22 I got
only black scans. The scanner bar moves but the LED's remained dark.

I switched to SANE 1.0.23.git with the same result, only black scans.
Switched back to 1.0.22 I took logs from both machines and found no
significant differences.

In the end I found the problem in the USB ports. On the front panel USB
1.1/2.0 Port the scanner produces the black scans. Connecting the
scanner to a backside USB 3.0 port the scanner works perfectly.

So I think this is not a software problem. The scanners power
consumption is 500mA which must be delivered from the USB port. The
scanner has no external power supply. Because of new green technologies
it it possible, that not all USB port deliver this maximum current.

Because my scanner is working with the backside USB port I didn't
examine how to get it running on the front panel USB port. Maybe this is
a matter of mainboard settings or there are any system or kernel
parameters to allow the high power consumption on the port.

Another solution could be an USB Hub with external power supply, but
this is only a assumption without guarantee.

If I can test something, please let me know.

Best regards.