[sane-devel] Identifying identical scanners dynamically turned on and off

Martin Zackrisson martin.zackrisson at cmb.gu.se
Thu Mar 22 10:22:59 UTC 2012

My problem is this:

I will have 2-4 identical scanners attached to the same computer. Due to
the needs of the application, the power to the scanners will be cut and
turned on automatically by the computer when they are to scan. All
scanners will be doing this,  turn on - scan - turn off, in parallel
several times per hour. I can not know if they will be on at the same
time nor if the order will stay the same.

So what I'd like to do, since they will be plugged into specific
USB-ports, is to identify them by their physical port. But how to do
this so a normal user has rights to communicate with the scanner in a
safe manner? I haven't seen any information when investigating the
scanner(s) as to their physical port/position. It might be that I
haven't succeeded fully to agree with udev.

At present only one scanner is attached and that works wonderfully but I
call it without specifying device.

Scanner-brand: Epson V700