[sane-devel] Canon DR2020U

BakerBoy bbsanedevel at baker.com.au
Fri Mar 23 12:48:53 UTC 2012

Ulrich, this may not suit your needs but I have got the basic functions
working.

0. I use VirtualBox for a number of things anyway so it was installed
in my machine and I am familiar with using it.

1. I made a new VM booting XP and got it connected to my network and
successfully talking to both printers and the internet.  I shared an NFS
share (containing a destination folder for scans) into the VM via
VirtualBox Shared Folders (requires guest additions).  I gave the VM the
USB port with the scanner on it.

2. I installed the DR2020U scanner software to the VM.  I set up bunch
of "jobs" for the scanner.  These are the scan configuration and output
options associated with the buttons on the scanner.  Among the options
here I disabled output confirmation.

3. I tested things and overcame the normal swag of minor difficulties
and misunderstandings including the permissions on the destination
folders for scans.

4. I shutdown the VM and restarted it using VBoxHeadless --startvm
CanScan.  ("CanScan" is the name of my VM)  It works beaut.  You can't
log off or the VM dies but you can switch to a different user.

I have not yet worked out how to:

a) Get the VM to run when the (Ubuntu lucid) host starts up.

b) Get remote access to the vm via VRDP - I have to read Ch.7 of the
VirtualBox help.

It is by no means ideal but it works now.  If and when sane supports
the machine or Canon support Linux I'll look at doing it the proper way.

Ben