[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V200 Photo - scans White as Blue

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri May 11 21:22:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday 11 May 2012 22:13:22 2cv67 wrote:
> On 10/05/12 01:43, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > You may get improved results with Image Scan! for Linux when selecting
> > Color Document (or B/W Document) for the Image Type.
> >
> > This white correction is not done by the device.  It is all done in a
> > non-free software component used by the iscan frontend.  The Image Type
> > setting influences this image processing, but may still not be able to
> > arrive at the desired result.  Your only option remaining (within the
> > scope of iscan) is fiddling with the Tone Correction settings.
> >
> > # That non-free software component has not been updated for ages.  The
> > # Windows driver however has seen additions and improvements in that
> > # area, hence the whiter backgrounds.
> >
> > Hope this clarifies,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, Olaf.
>
> As you say, when using Image Scan! for Linux, then 'Document' setting
> does produce a slightly lighter 'white' than the 'Photo' setting, but
> not very significantly, and not enough.
>
> What I do now with iscan, without bothering to check carefully, is to
> always make the same Tone correction, actually in the black rather than
> colour tabs & this gives a 'near enough' result for general use - see link:
> http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz309/2CV67/?action=view&current=correcti
> on.png
>
> If iscan would just remember my settings, that would be the end of the
> story, at least for iscan...
>
> I assume from your explanation that nothing is going to make this white
> correction automatically for me, in any app, but is there nowhere in the
> whole chain of events I can make a once & for all manual adjustment?

With the latest release of Skanlite (0.8), all the settings are saved on exit
and loaded the next time you start. So if you change color correction settings
they will be the same the next time you run Skanlite (they can be reverted to
defaults). I think the relevant options with the epkowa backend is located in
the "Scanner Specific Options" tab: Red, Shift green to red, ...

Skanlite 0.8 is packaged with at least Ubuntu 12.04.

Regards,
  Kåre