[sane-devel] MX712 and Linux

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:28:02 UTC 2012

Recently purchased a Canon Pixma MX712 and have the following working:

printing under cups

scanning not using the adf from gimp using xsane

scanning from adf for first page only

When I try to scan multiple pages from the 712 using gimp/xsane the first page scans and then I see:

[pixma] bjnp_recv_header: could not read response header (select timed out): Success!
[pixma] Could not read response to command!

and the MX712 forces me to clear the adf using the button.  Subsequent attempts to scan result in the error:

[pixma] bjnp_open_tcp: Can not connect to scanner: Connection refused

I have tested the following to see if I can somehow reset the connection in the Pixma:

power off the pixma for 30+ seconds -> no joy, still can't scan

scan from Windows using the adf -> results in a perfect scan into Windows but no reset of the Pixma related to my Linux machine.

power off and unplug the Pixma for 20+ seconds -> allows me to scan again.  Until I do this I can't reconnect to the scanner *at
all* from gimp using xsane (not even to scan from the flatbed).

I'm not sure now to capture log information about this as I've tried setting the following variables and doing a redirect with no
success:

SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=21
SANE_DEBUG=255
PIXMA_EXPERIMENT=1
SANE_DEBUG_UMAX1220U=255

Am glad to assist in getting this working if somebody can give me a lead as to how to do so.

--

Regards,