[sane-devel] MX712 and Linux

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:53:24 UTC 2012

On 11/01/12 18:17, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com <mailto:ktmdms at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Recently purchased a Canon Pixma MX712 and have the following working:
>

> Hello Kevin,
>
> /../
>
>     scanning not using the adf from gimp using xsane
>
>     scanning from adf for first page only
>

> It looks like you are using the network connection. To debug the pixma driver, you should first try with a direct USB connection.
> Also, what is the version of SANE and the pixma libraries you are using? Preferebly with be 1.0.23 or the git CVS code.
>
> Regards,
> Gernot Hassenpflug
These are my sane related rpms:

sane-backends-drivers-cameras-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
sane-backends-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
sane-backends-drivers-scanners-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
sane-frontends-1.0.14-15.fc18.x86_64
sane-backends-libs-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
xsane-gimp-0.998-12.fc19.x86_64
xsane-common-0.998-12.fc19.x86_64
sane-backends-devel-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64

The pixma libraries were downloaded from the Canon Europe site since the Canon USA site didn't have Linux files for the MX712 (I
downloaded the files for the MX715 (cnijfilter-source-3.70) and had to do a fair amount of changing of source code to get them to
compile on the latest Fedora....should I post the diff's for the changes for that here do you think?).

As for debugging via USB, I'm not sure now to go about doing that.  I can easily tcpdump and windump from my Linux and Windows boxes
and compare the conversations that go on between the scanner and the two machines, I can strace gimp while I'm trying this or strace
the scanning pid and see what it's getting (not sure how to do that on Windows) but debugging via USB I'm not sure how to do exactly.

Thanks.

Kevin