[sane-devel] MX712 and Linux

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:09:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/12 18:17, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com <mailto:ktmdms at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Recently purchased a Canon Pixma MX712 and have the following working:
>>
>> It looks like you are using the network connection. To debug the pixma driver, you should first try with a direct USB connection.
>> Also, what is the version of SANE and the pixma libraries you are using? Preferebly with be 1.0.23 or the git CVS code.

Hello Kevin,

> sane-backends-drivers-cameras-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
> sane-backends-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
> sane-backends-drivers-scanners-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
> sane-frontends-1.0.14-15.fc18.x86_64
> sane-backends-libs-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64
> xsane-gimp-0.998-12.fc19.x86_64
> xsane-common-0.998-12.fc19.x86_64
> sane-backends-devel-1.0.23-4.fc19.x86_64

I'll assume from the above that you have the SANE packages installed correctly.

> The pixma libraries were downloaded from the Canon Europe site since the Canon USA site didn't have Linux files for the MX712 (I
> downloaded the files for the MX715 (cnijfilter-source-3.70) and had to do a fair amount of changing of source code to get them to
> compile on the latest Fedora....should I post the diff's for the changes for that here do you think?).

This is totally .... unrelated.
Either you are going to use SANE, or you are going to use the Canon
driver for scanning, you have to decide.

> As for debugging via USB, I'm not sure now to go about doing that.  I can easily tcpdump and windump from my Linux and Windows boxes
> and compare the conversations that go on between the scanner and the two machines, I can strace gimp while I'm trying this or strace
> the scanning pid and see what it's getting (not sure how to do that on Windows) but debugging via USB I'm not sure how to do exactly.

For a start, decide if you want to use the Canon driver or SANE driver.
If you want to use the Canon driver, you'll have to go somewhere else
for support.
If you decide to use SANE, then get rid of the Canon driver, read
man-pixma to understand how to set debugging, and then with the device
attached via USB use the command line sane-find-scanner with debug set
to whatever level is reqired to see if the pixma backend sees the
scanner.
Once it is established whether or not the pixma backend from the SANE
packages you have currently installed actualy detects the scanner,
then it will be possible to start debugging the functionality.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug