[sane-devel] Brother MFC 5460CN under Centos 6

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 11:06:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have one of these (printer/scanner/fax/copy) machines. It worked under CentOS 5,
I recently upgraded to Centos 6 .... Brother seem less than interested in
supporting it as they deem it old ... it is only 4 years old. Printing I can do
by connecting via ethernet (usb no longer works) - but scanning is what I have
problems with.

When I start xsane I get a 'scanning for devices' box, then

    Failed to open device 'brother2:bus2;dev1': Invalid argument

lsusb shows:

    Bus 008 Device 002: ID 04f9:01b7 Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-5460CN Remote Setup Port

scanimage -L tells me:

    device `brother2:bus2;dev1' is a Brother MFC-5460CN USB scanner

Can anyone help me to get this thing going ? I have already decided that I shall
never buy Brother kit again.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/