[sane-devel] scanbd

Wilhelm wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Wed Nov 21 06:50:52 UTC 2012

Am 10.11.2012 22:47, schrieb Louis Lagendijk:
> On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 06:50 +0100, Wilhelm wrote:
>

>>> A compilation with -Werror catched this for me. I have -Werror as a
>>> compile flag, but it can be disabled (configure --disable-Werror).
>>
>> Thanks very much! (Did not look very much at that code, because it isn't
>> mine in the first place).
>>
>> But: here the compilation succeeds without warnings and therefore
>> -Werror did not abort the compilation (using gcc) ...
>>
> Then it was most probably the default set of compilation flags that
> gcc-4.7 uses. It is handy to have the compiler check for user errors,
> but it can be annying when it complains about unused function arguments
> (I see some when I compile with -DNDEBUG)
>>>
>>> Another more interesting issue:
>>> How do we pass options to the code? I have 2 options:
>>> 1) Use -D / -U options on the command-line for cc.
>>> 2) Let configure generate a config.h that holds the relevant options
>>> (like CFG_DIR) and include that from a common header file or directly
>>> from the c-files.
>>>
>>> Which option do you prefer?
>>
>> Option 1: using -D/-U for the compiler.
>
> Ok, I have now a working setup (although I have not been able to test
> the generated binaries yet). I have attached the current results. It
> compiles cleanly on my Fedora 17.
> I have included the configure.ac and relevant Makefile.am files. I
> recommend putting only these in svn. I also included patch that removes
> the need for the OS-defines. Most OS-dependencies are simple header
> files checks that I added in configure.ac. That generates
> -DHAVE_LINUX_LIMITS_H style defines. I did the same for utmp.h/utmpx.h.
>
> The dependencies in common.h can be replaced by checks on __FreeBSD__
> etc, as these defines are set by gcc.
>
> A very nice featue of automake is
> make dist
> that generates a complete distribtion tar file for you. It takes the
> version number from configure.ac
>
> After adding the files to your tree run
> autoreconf -if
> ./configure
> Check ./configure --help
> for the available options.
> I still want to add an option to set the default group to be used in
> 99-sanede.rules and in the sample configuration file (that reminds me
> that I still need to check that config files do not get overwritten).
> That option can wait a bit. I also will add systemd configuration files
> when I have time again

Thank you very much for your excellent work!

I just added the patches and the autotools-stuff to scanbd-trunk. The
old makefiles are still there as Makefile.simple.

If I try to configure on non-Linux-Plattforms, e.g. FreeBSD (8.2) or
NetBSD (5.1) I have the problem, that there is non pkg-config for
sane-backends ... Do you know how to circumvent this? Is it possible to
use other checks than pkg-config?

--
Wilhelm

--