[sane-devel] Cannot configure Xsane to use latest Sane backend version

Mik 99 mik99 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:00:44 UTC 2012

Hello,

My scanner requires Sane backend version 1.0.23 (Canon i-Sensys MF4430).

I've checked on the Sane Project website and they confirmed that only the latest version supports my scanner.

So, I've installed the latest version from git (and made it from the source), and then scanimage -V returns:
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.23; backend version 1.0.23

And it's OK.

But when I install XSane or Simple-Scan, scanimage -V returns:
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.23; backend version 1.0.22

I'm using Linux Mint 13 and its package manager. It won't install Xsane without it's dependencies, and those dependencies are older versions.

I've tried symbolic links to point to the latest Sane version, as explained in the ReadMe file, but I can't get it to work.

Could someone please tell me how to make XSane use Sane version 1.0.23?

Thank you.