[sane-devel] Cannot scan over an open local network

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Tue Nov 27 02:38:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Joel Webster <j.n.webster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I only have the one eth interface being used on the server, but since I have
> the cable plugged into the third port, it comes up as eth2 instead of eth0.
>
> Ok, so here is the client's relevant ifconfig info:
> wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:7e:57:45:35
>           inet addr:192.168.17.52  Bcast:192.168.17.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

Your network seems to be 192.168.17.0

> Here is /etc/sane.d/net.conf from the server:
> # This is the net backend config file.

[...]

> And here is /etc/sane.d/saned.conf from the server:
> # saned.conf
> # Configuration for the saned daemon
>
> ## Daemon options
> # Port range for the data connection. Choose a range inside [1024 - 65535].
> # Avoid specifying too large a range, for performance reasons.
> #
> # ONLY use this if your saned server is sitting behind a firewall. If your
> # firewall is a Linux machine, we strongly recommend using the
> # Netfilter nf_conntrack_sane connection tracking module instead.
> #
> data_portrange = 10000 - 10100
>

> ## Access list
> localhost
> 127.0.0.1
> 192.168.17.1/24

Shouldn't this be 192.168.17.0/24 ? or a specific client machine?

Also, if you are using Ubuntu I have found that you have to log-on
with a user that has access privileges to the scanner. I have never
tried to figure that one out but I can tell you for sure that you need
to log-in at least once before saned works. I use network scanning all
the time and the first thing In do is log in as a user that has
scanner rights. It must be some weird HAL/Udev/libusb weirdness,

Cheers,

--
Alejandro Imass