[sane-devel] Cannot scan over an open local network

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Tue Nov 27 04:51:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Joel Webster <j.n.webster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean that when I'm logging in to my client I need to have access
> privileges?

The client needs scanner access access AFAIK

> Or do you mean that once I have everything configured I need to log in to my
> server at least once with such a user?

Yes. At least once after booting your server and the user needs to
__remain logged on___ but can lock it's screen. I've never tried on
scanner servers w/o a Desktop Env since most scanner servers are also
work stations.

We are currently using Ubuntu 10.x with Gnome so it may only be
related to this environment.

> Or each time I want to scan, I need to log a privileged user into my server?

In our particular set-up the user is left logged on and the desktop
locked. Our scanner / print servers are general purpose print / scan
kiosks as well so anyone wanting to use this station directly knows
this single user's password.

Typical workflow:

Scanner and print servers go down o Fridays. Whoever turns them on
Monday is responsible for login in with the scan/print user. After a
few minutes it locks out the screen and goes black for power saving.
It then works all week mostly through network access. But if you need
to scan something quick on a pen drive you can just stop by this sort
of scan-server/kiosk, type the passwd and do your thing.

--
Alejandro Imass