[sane-devel] Cannot scan over an open local network

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Wed Nov 28 17:36:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

> Alejandro Imass writes:

[...]

>> We are currently using Ubuntu 10.x with Gnome so it may only be
>> related to this environment.
>
> You may want to check the groups that the saned is part of.  See my
> initial reply[1] to this thread.  The fact that you need to remain
> logged in indicates that policykit is providing you with access to the
> device.  If saned is in the appropriate groups that should not be
> necessary.
>
>  [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2012-November/030564.html

Thanks! We'll see if we get it fixed. It's really no trouble and it's
only once a week, but it would surely be easier if it just works by
booting the kiosk. But then again people may scan directly at the
kiosk so it really works out ok for us this way.

As promised here is our config so maybe it helps the OP to get it working:

SERVER
--------------

dll.conf
------------
net
hp

saned.conf
-----------------
data_portrange = 10000 - 10100
192.168.2.0./24

inetd.conf
---------------
sane-port  stream  tcp4  nowait  ycadmin  /usr/sbin/saned saned

services
-------------
sane-port     6566/tcp   #SANE network scanner daemon

CLIENT
------------

dll.conf
-----------
net

net.conf
------------
192.168.2.106

Test/debug your set-up:
----------------------------------

ON THE SERVER

1) make sure you see your scanner scan image -L
2) make sure you can scan locally using scanimage
3) telnet to localhost 6566 it should block

ON THE CLIENT

1) test network connectivity with telnet to scan server at port 6566
(rule out any firewall, etc.)
2) scanimage -L you should see the remote scanner and the server IP
3) test scan with scanimage

Hope it works for you!

--
Alejandro Imass