[sane-devel] Plustek OpticSlim 2400 - not detected/Slider not moving

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 21:40:53 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,

I am trying to make my Plustek OpticSlim 2400 usb scanner work my system.
This scanner is supposed to work with the gt68xx backend and the
firmware file cis3R5B1.fw.
I copied the firmware to /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ and optimistically ran
xsane to press the 'preview' button.
The Slider in the scanner would just not start moving. The light would
turn on about every second for a very very short time and not fully,
just a thin line of it flashing not very bright.
The scanner is shown as OpticSlim 2400:004 in the xsane title bar.

So I ran sane-find-scanner to find it does not detect my scanner.
It prints 2 lines of this error:
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
and then telling me that no usb scanners were found.

I have taken the firmware form a Windows XP VM where the scanner is
working properly as of today.
My system is opensuse 12.2, sane-backends=1.0.22, xsane=0.998.

Any help making this device work is appreciated

Josua Mayer