[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF4450 (running as MF4410)

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 01:05:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Dylan McGuire <dylan.l.mcguire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Dylan McGuire <dylan.l.mcguire at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) could you install SANE from git and try this (latest backend means
>> 1.0.23 I suppose).
>>
>> 2) could you access a WinXP PC and do USB sniffing from there? That
>> would show what commands are needed for this device. If new commands
>> are required, no amount of SANE debugging will help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gernot Hassenpflug
>
> I have installed SANE from git and I think I have the latest
> development version (1.0.24). The scanimage command gives
>
> $ scanimage -V
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

OK, that is fine. Then for sure it needs development.

> I have inserted a few debug printfs in the backend (e.g.
> pixma_imageclass and pixma_common) to trace the problem. Basically, it
> seems to run the initialization step,
> - query status (OK)
> - activate (0)
> - activate (4) -- I don't know what the arguments mean
> and those steps complete successfully (status is OK). The next command
> issues appears to be "start_session" which results in "busy" returned
> status.

Maybe the command block sent during a scan command needs some bytes
set differently.

> Unfortunately, I do not have access to a WinXP computer (or the
> scanner, actually -- it is located at my parents' house). If the only
> option here is a USB trace, then it will have to wait a while...

Yes, that would be best. The program to use would be SniffUSB v2.0.
For x86 and x86-64 architectures, and complete instructions for use:
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm

A generic look at the development of the sniffer program, for interest:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Usbsnoop

Note: you can use v1.8 as well, although the buttons are a bit
different, but please do not use Snoppy Pro or any other newer
derivative. Not only are they more confusing to use, but the log
format cannot be parsed by our current tools, making it much more
difficult (WIP).

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug