[sane-devel] sane-backends vs backend version missmatch

Martin Zackrisson martin.zackrisson at cmb.gu.se
Mon Oct 15 14:40:49 UTC 2012

Sorry if this is not exactly a dev-question, but it seems to me that
with Ubuntu Precise Pangolin it is all but easy to do a proper install
of SANE from source. I noticed another question that had similar version
mismatch which might be at the root of that problem as well.

If I run on a fresh install of Ubuntu with compiled SANE source from the
git I get:

    $ scanimage -V
    scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.22

(I basically followed the instructions on
http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/02/how-to-get-an-canon-canoscan-lide-100-scanner-to-work-in-ubuntu-11-10linux-mint-12.html
since I didn't find any other information making sure that sane was not
installed prior to installation.)

My primary interest is the epson2-backend. In 1.0.22 it offer the wrong
TPU settings for Epson V700 (which TPU2-mode wasn't supported in 1.0.22).
Since it shows 1.0.22 behaviour, it implies that the epson2-backend
comes from 1.0.22 and not 1.0.24.

If I install SANE with prefix to a local folder and run that version of
scanimage it still produces the mismatch.

However, on another computer where I installed a custom 1.0.22 build of
SANE last winter and since have upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04, I can install
the same SANE-git locally and have it correctly match backends:

    $ ./SANE/bin/scanimage -V
    scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24
    $ scanimage -V
    scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22

On this computer the 1.0.24 works correctly in finding TPU2 on Epson V700.

So what am I missing/doing wrong?

/Martin Zackrisson