[sane-devel] Other pixma_foo update for LSB

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 19 07:31:34 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Oct 18 10:09 Petrie, Glen wrote (excerpt):
> Hi Johannes
>
> I noticed that you submitted a bug fix request for the pixma_bjnp.c .

I did not submit anything for pixma_bjnp.c - at least I am
not aware of any such submission.

What I recently submitted was
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410366&aid=313858&group_id=30186
with a tentative fix for a complier warning in kodakaio.c
"control reaches end of non-void function"
i.e. when there is an exit path in a non-void function
without returning a value.

This issue is considered severe by the openSUSE build system
which serches the complier output for warnings which are
considered to be actually errors. For another example see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1017496
"No return in non-void function in scan/sane/hpaio.c"
which additionally shows another issue that is considered
severe: Pointer and integer mixed up => not 64-bit safe.

In such cases the openSUSE build system aborts the build
and then I am forced to somehow fix it regardless that
usually I do not have the expert knowledge hwo each
individual scanner driver works (e.g. what value to return
when a non-void function exits without returning a value).

Therefore I file a bug report at the "SANE bug tracker"
according to http://www.sane-project.org/bugs.html
to get the author/maintainer of the particular scanner driver
involved so that he can either use my tentative fix as is
or provide a real fix based on his expert knowledge.

For the external SANE backend "hpaio" I file a bug report
at the HPLIP bug tracker, see "Report a Bug" at
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner