[sane-devel] sane under windows XP / 7

Matteo Gasparin email.diversa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:40:06 UTC 2012

2012/9/5 Chris Bagwell <chris at cnpbagwell.com>

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Matteo Gasparin <email.diversa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm using the 1.0.22 tarball downloaded from
> > https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30186
>
> You'll want to download the just released 1.0.23 or grab from git.  It
> has several mingw32 bugfixes.
>
> > For the environment variables, do I just need to set them and they will
> be
> > picked by the dll?
>
> yes.  See 'man sane-usb' and 'man sane-avision' for examples.
>
> > Is the use of libdwi the only way to see the usb devices from Windows?
> Seems
> > kind of a complicated and hackish way to get it work...
>
> What is libdwi?  libusb-win32 is needed and I hear windows support has
> been integrated into libusb-1.x library directory but requires minor
> header file fixes in sane to use them.
>
> Chris

That was a typo, it's libwdi, not libdwi. Located here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/libwdi/index.php?title=Main_Page. I
tried the 1.0.23 version, and maybe I'll try git, but still no luck. Using
a utility (zadig) in the libwdi package you can substitute the native
windows usb driver with a libusb-win32 compatible one (I guess?). Doing
that sane-find-scanner is able to detect the scanner but scanimage -L says
"no scanners identified". Without the intervention of libwdi not even
sane-find-scanner finds the device. I also tried with a Kodak i2600
scanner, same results. The windows driver for the devices are not installed
(and in fact seems that for the hp 5300C they don't exist anymore). Now I'm
using windows 7 32 bit.

Thanks for the answers