[sane-devel] Reflecta ProScan / Crystalscan 7200 PIE film scanner update

Michael Rickmann mrickma at gwdg.de
Thu Sep 13 16:21:35 UTC 2012

Hi Klaus,

Am 13.09.2012 14:38, schrieb Klaus Kaempf:
> Hi Michael,
>
> * Michael Rickmann <mrickma at gwdg.de> [Sep 12. 2012 07:45]:
>> Hi Jan, hi Klaus,
>>
>> last weekend came back from vacation without internet and there will
>> be a similar period starting next week.
> its great to have you back, but I'm jealous now.  ;-)
>
>> Am 10.09.2012 21:01, schrieb Vleeshouwers, J.M.:
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> I tested your modified Pie backend this weekend. I had to change one line to get it working. My scanner takes about 10 seconds to get ready after it decides to collect shading data after all. So in pie_usb_calibrate() I changed line 3307 to:
>>> status = pie_usb_wait_scanner (scanner, 30);
>>> (30 to be very safe) I also changed the polling frequency of pie_usb_wait_scanner() from 16 times per second to just 1 time per second. The windows driver only polls every 1.5 second. I did not check if this was essential, though.
>> I am glad it worked for you.
> Looks like the Powerslide/DigitDia slide scanner is a bit different.
> I couldn't get it to work, scanimage complains about "device busy" -
> even after extending the wait period in pie_usb_wait_scanner().
>
> Cranking up the debug level revealed a 'read' request issued without
> the scanner indicating availabilty of data. The the scanner hung and I
> had to power-cycle it.
>

> Klaus
Does that happen during scanimage -L? Without seeing the debug output I
can only guess. Worst case is that your scanner has stalled at the
initial INQUIRY command. I remember from old USB sniffing times that
Cyberview was sending a rather enigmatic initial sequence of control
bytes which could have ment negotiating an address  on the SCSI bus. I
tried to mimic them. In Jan's new backend I have seen that that may mean
overdoing things. To get rid of them outcomment the if (cmnd[0] ==
INQUIRY) {} block in pie_usb_scsi_wrapper beginning at line 1236 or try
to get Jan's code working.
The next critical thing is mode setting (pie_usb_mode_select or Jan's
cmdSetMode), especially data[9]. Jan's backend has a clearer definition
of it than my patch. As the scanner may hang later when the calibration
handshake does not fit.
Could you do an export SANE_DEBUG_PIE=255 , scanimage -L 2> dbg0 . If it
succeeds xsane 2> dbg1 , select speed Pro and do a preview. Then post
the debug output which failed.
I am still writing this mail and you have already sent three new ones.
We will get those scanners going.
Regards,
Michael