[sane-devel] SANE backend for Canon PIXMA MG8250

Volker Lenhardt volker.lenhardt at uni-due.de
Thu Apr 11 16:58:08 UTC 2013

Hi, I'm new here. My work environment is openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10,
sane-backends 1.0.23.

It happens that there is a SANE driver for my new printer-scanner Canon
PIXMA MG8250:

/usr/share/sane/descriptions/pixma.desc:
model "PIXMA MG8200 Series"
:interface "USB"
:usbid "0x04a9" "0x1756"
:status :untested
:comment "Testers needed!"

But it doesn't work. Test output from Yast:

Fehler
Test mit 'scanimage -d pixma:04A91756_20D0DE -v' ist fehlgeschlagen.
Ergebnis:
scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 34/242
scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

I have no idea how a scanner works and how a driver communicates with
it. But if I can be of any help, though, I'm ready to do my best testing
my scanner hoping to get it to work somehow.

What can I do?

Greetings
Volker