[sane-devel] SANE backend for Canon PIXMA MG8250

Volker Lenhardt volker.lenhardt at uni-due.de
Fri Apr 12 19:00:19 UTC 2013

Hi Rolf,

first of all, will the testing procedure be a matter of interest for
this mailing list or should it be a dialogue between the two of us?

I'll do it both ways for a start. I report my testing steps here and
send you the files in question by private email.

I forgot to mention: my OS is 64 Bit openSUSE 12.3. And I have installed
scangearmp, the scanner program from the Canon website. I can scan with
it, but the one and only possible scan target is save to a file, though
there are three targets to choose from, print, display, and OCR (all of
which I cannot find a way to configure).

Am 12.04.2013 11:07, schrieb Rolf Bensch:

> If you want to read the program and backend version use: 'scanimage -V'.

--> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.23; backend version 1.0.23

> You can do a test scan with 'scanimage > test.pnm'.

Scanner scans, scanimage hangs for a long time, then:
--> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O:

After that I call scangearmp and start a preview:
--> Scanner doesn't respond, scangearmp hangs.

At this point I have to turn the device off and on to get scangearmp to
work correctly again.

> But it's easier to use a graphic frontend like xsane.

With preview in xsane the scanner scans about one third of a page, then
xsane gives an error message:
Fehler beim Lesen: Fehler während Geräte I/O (Error during device I/O).

But the scanner doesn't hang. Scangearmp can make a preview.

> If your scanner still won't work, I need a log file from scanning a
> small area of approx. 5mm x 5mm @ 75dpi with: 'SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11
> scanimage -x 5 -y5 2> pixma.log > test.pnm'.

SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 > scanimage -x 5 -y5 2> pixma.log > test1.pnm
--> Exits after a long time with no message.

The files pixma.log, test.pnm and test1.pnm are attached to the private
email.

> Am 11.04.2013 18:58, schrieb Volker Lenhardt:
>> Hi, I'm new here. My work environment is openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10,
>> sane-backends 1.0.23.
>>
>> It happens that there is a SANE driver for my new printer-scanner
>> Canon PIXMA MG8250:
>>
>> /usr/share/sane/descriptions/pixma.desc:
>> model "PIXMA MG8200 Series"
>> :interface "USB"
>> :usbid "0x04a9" "0x1756"
>> :status :untested
>> :comment "Testers needed!"
>>
>> But it doesn't work. Test output from Yast:
>>
>> Fehler
>> Test mit 'scanimage -d pixma:04A91756_20D0DE -v' ist fehlgeschlagen.
>> Ergebnis:
>> scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
>> scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
>> scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 34/242
>> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

Greetings
Volker