[sane-devel] Nikon LS-50 device I/O error

Tom Wright tom at maladmin.com
Tue Apr 16 16:08:45 UTC 2013

Hi can anyone help me resolve my problem with a Nikon Coolscan V slide
scanner.

$ scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22

I did try compiling backends from git but with the same results.

OS is basically debian Wheezy.

scanimage -L detects the device when it has first been plugged in (along
with a v4l camera.
$ scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device
device `coolscan3:usb:libusb:001:006' is a Nikon LS-50 ED film scanner

however the scanner disappears after I insert a slide.
Re-plugging the USB cable makes it available again:

$ scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device
device `coolscan3:usb:libusb:001:007' is a Nikon LS-50 ED film scanner

However I get an error when I try to scan an image
$ scanimage -d coolscan3:usb:libusb:001:007 >image.pnm
scanimage: open of device coolscan3:usb:libusb:001:007 failed: Error
during device I/O

Thanks
tom