[sane-devel] Testing Sane + Canon MG6250

Ashley Arnold ashonit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:04:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm not really sure how to do this, but the
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html page said "Testers needed", so
here is what I did to get my Canon MG6250 scanner going.

This is on xubuntu 12.10 64-bit with all current updates as at 13th Apr
2013. Here is my xsane version info:

$ xsane --version
xsane-0.998 (c) 1998-2010 Oliver Rauch
  E-mail: Oliver.Rauch at xsane.org
  package xsane-0.996
  compiled with GTK-2.24.12
  with color management function
  with GIMP support, compiled with GIMP-2.8.0
  XSane output formats: jpeg, pdf(compr.), png, pnm, ps(compr.), tiff, txt

After installing xsane, initially it wouldn't detect the MG6250 (which was
on the network via wireless connection). It would look for devices and then
the process would end.

After reading the man docs and finding the "backend name" for my printer is
"pixma", I did:

   - man sane-pixma (seems to be a man entry for each backend) tells you to
   that network scanners should normally be detected, but if not, add them
   directly to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
   - Edited /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf and added:

   bjnp://<ip_address>

   - The sane daemon wasn't running, so I started it manually (a friend of
   mine running Arch said it was for him...):
      - Edited /etc/default/saned and set RUN=yes.
      - Then started the sane service: service saned start
   - Run xsane, it discovered the scanner and worked perfectly.

The only issue I had is for multi-page documents, it didn't wait between
pages, but scanned the same page over and over. This might be user error
and nothing to do with xsane though.

Hopefully this is of use to someone. Again, apologies if this is not the
forum for this kind of stuff.

Cheers,
Ash