[sane-devel] Pulstek OpticBook 3800

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Tue Apr 23 04:44:07 UTC 2013

On 18/04/2013 20:39, Nikolay Shaplov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've recently bought Pulstek OpticBook 3800, hoping that it is almost the same
> thing as 3600, and I wont need much configuring with it.
>
> This hopes died when I did sane-find-scanner, it said
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3 [PLUSTEK INC], product=0x1300 [USB2.0
> SCANNER], chip=GL847) at libusb:001:020
>
> and 3600 is GL841 :-(
>
> What did I do:
>
> I've cloned Genesys_Model plustek_3600_model in backend/genesys_devices.c
> replaced GENESYS_GL841 with GENESYS_GL847, added correct vendor and product id
> for this clone in device list there, built and installed it, and also added
> vendor and product id into /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf
>
> Result was the following
>
> scanimage makes the scanner move it's head (not always sane, sometimes it
> tries to move out of device physical limits) and turn the lamp on and off.
>
> Scanning goes with turned off lamp, and the result file if always filled with
> 0x00, even if i put external light source over the scanner.
>

> This is my limits of what I can do myself without your help.
>
> I did not found any info about how to turn some debugging output (-v -v -v -v
> -v does not give much information about what sane is trying to do with the
> scanner)
> I did not found any guides about how to debug devices in such cases.
>
> If you can help me with these question, or even can guide me through the
> debugging process, this would be great.
>
> As I can understand GL847 chip is supported by SANE and we should do
> calibration and other staff like these...
>
> What I should do first?

     Hello,

     the first step is to find the exact ASIC used in your scanner. Can
you post an USB log of a preview done with the windows driver ? And also
the result of lsusb -v ? Is there a chance you can IC through the glass
when the scanning head is moving ?
     Then adding this scanner will be like you started it, but you'll
also have to add specific entries for sensor, motor and gpio which
change from device to device. The needed values will have to be deduced
from USB logs. The code path will had to be modified for the new defines.
     BTW there is no CCD sensor support currently in gl847 code, only
CIS sensors are handled. That would need to be changed firt.

Regards,
     Stef