[sane-devel] Epson2 backend and ADF

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sat Aug 3 00:14:30 UTC 2013

Michael Koltan writes:

> [...]
> As to the questions of Olaf: I upgraded in two steps, first from from
> lenny to squeeze. I compiled iscan-2.29.1 with the epkowa backend 1.0.15
> in squeeze. The compilation worked, although some test failed. But the
> backend then produced an errormessage which I don't have anymore, but I
> think it was the same as on wheezy (see below).
>
> After that I decided just to upgrade to wheezy and check, if the newest
> epson2 driver would be working. It didn't. The I recompiled iscan, but
> the backend gives the errormessage: "scanimage: open of device epkowa
> failed: Access to resource has been denied".
>
> Then I decided to fix the epson2 backend instead of the epkowa backend,
> because alread on lenny the epkowa backend didn't work 100% correctly.
> Duplex worked fine, but there was a problem when scanning simplex (I
> don't remember what it was, but I think it didn't scan the last sheet).
> So on lenny I had to switch between 1.0.15 and 1.0.19 of the epkowa
> driver for simplex respective duplex, because the 1.0.19 backend failed
> on duplex.

Sounds like you are compiling the iscan package from source.  I think
you will have more luck with the precompiled binaries as there are a
number of things that need to be done after

  sudo make install

that the binary packages will do for you in the post-install phase.
Also, you will need to install the iscan-data package.

Precompiled binaries are available from:

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962