[sane-devel] saned problem on ubuntu: undefined symbol: sanei_w_init

Jaakko Saarela jaakko.i.saarela at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 06:50:51 UTC 2013

Does anyone know what has gone wrong in my sane installation.

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    12.04
Codename:    precise

scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.22

scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A9173A_B3B91B' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MP250
multi-function peripheral

When running: service saned restart

I get message:
Restarting SANE network scanner server: /usr/sbin/saned: symbol lookup
error: /usr/sbin/saned: undefined symbol: sanei_w_init

I have installed sane with apt-get and also trid to compile it by myself
- same issue existing. It seems that there is someting wrong in my
ubuntu installation? What?

--JaSa