[sane-devel] Colored vertical stripes with Visioneer Xerox DocuMate 510

chris guirl thelusiv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 04:54:02 UTC 2013

Hello folks! A few years ago I posted about my Xerox DocuMate 510 and its
strange colored bands when using Sane. Unfortunately back then, I didn't
have time to dig deeper into the problem.

I tried this scanner again recently, and found similar results.

Xsane now crashes after init, probably due to my running two monitors.
Simple Scan starts up fine and runs normally.

sane-find-scanner:

$ sane-find-scanner
# ...
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a7 [XEROX], product=0x0446 [DocuMate 510]) at
libusb:006:005
# ...

scanimage works fine, mostly:
$ scanimage -L
device `avision:libusb:006:003' is a Xerox DocuMate510 flatbed scanner

It scans ok, but it hangs when I run "scanimage -T":
$ scanimage -T
scanimage: scanning image 1272 pixels wide and variable height at 24
bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 3816 bytes... PASS
scanimage: reading one byte... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4096 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4095 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes... PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes... PASS

# At this point scanimage hangs for a long time, so I break:
^C
scanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: trying to stop scanner
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This leaves my scanner in an unusable state, and it must be power cycled
before it will work again.

Finally, scanned images in full color still have the gradient-colored
vertical stripes. I have attached a sample, collected thus:

$ scanimage > XeroxDocumate510.pnm

I have cloned the Git repository sane-backends, compiled and installed.

$ scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.25git; backend version 1.0.22

I have never done Sane development before. I have started reading avision.c
and avision.h to familiarize myself with the driver.

I'm looking for some help on getting started. I noticed many of the
scanners defined have various flags, perhaps one of those flags should be
set for the (Visioneer) Xerox DocuMate 510?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris