[sane-devel] Epson V600 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 16 01:34:21 UTC 2013

George Clark writes:

> I've got a Epson V600 Photo which used to work with iscan backend,
> although it was quite slow during initial startup.

Any ball park figures as to how slow?  Something like 30 seconds or 3
minutes might hint at USB timeouts.

> However with recent system updates, it's completely stopped working.
> The scanner is proven to work fine on Windows.
>
> System is gentoo.   Recently updated to kernel 3.10.17

Anything else that has changed between the last time the scanner worked
and now?  Of most interest are changes in the libraries that the plugin
depends on because my first guess would be a failure to load the plugin.

> Software installed:
>
> sane-backends-1.0.24-r1:0
> iscan-2.29.1.5:0
> iscan-data-1.22.0.1:0
> iscan-plugin-gt-x820-2.2.0.1:0
>
> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf - active lines:
>
> usb
> usb 0x04b8 0x013a
>
> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf - active lines:
> epkowa

Looks fine.

>  $ sane-find-scanner
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x013a [EPSON
> Scanner]) at libusb:001:004
>
>  $ scanimage -L
> device `epkowa:usb:001:004' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
>
> I've tried running as root, and moved the scanner to different USB
> ports, with no change.
>
> I've also run with older versions of sane-backends (1.0.23)  and iscan
> (2.26.2),  with the same symptoms.  Also I've dropped back to kernel
> 3.8.13.  No changes.
>
> Below is the debug output from scanimage.  If I can do anything else to
> track this down, please  let me know.
>
>  $ SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=11 scanimage -v -v -v>   test.pnm
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_usb to 11.
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_init: marking existing devices
> [snip]
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: opened usb device `libusb:001:004' (*dn=0)
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_get_vendor_product: device 0: vendorID: 0x04b8,
> productID: 0x013a
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: trying to write 2 bytes
> [sanei_usb] 000 1B 66
> .f
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: wanted 2 bytes, wrote 2 bytes
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: trying to read 4 bytes
> [sanei_usb] 000 15
> .
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: wanted 4 bytes, got 1 bytes
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: trying to read 42 bytes
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: read failed: Operation timed out
> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_close: closing device 0
>
> This sequence repeats and eventually the driver gives up.

Hmm, can you create a log with the debugging output for the epkowa
backend enabled?

  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex scanimage -h 2> help.log > /dev/null
  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex scanimage > scan.log > /dev/null

Please compress the logs before sending them to the list.  They tend to
get a bit verbose ;-)

> Thanks for any help.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962