[sane-devel] Epson V600 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 16 07:35:22 UTC 2013

George Clark writes:

> On 12/15/2013 08:34 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> George Clark writes:
>>
>>> I've got a Epson V600 Photo which used to work with iscan backend,

George, thanks for all the additional input.  However, after looking at
the logs, none of it appears to be relevant (at this point), so I'll
snip that in the interest of brevity.

> I really don't know if it was working after either of these updates.
>> Hmm, can you create a log with the debugging output for the epkowa
>> backend enabled?
>>
>>   SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex scanimage -h 2> help.log > /dev/null
>>   SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex scanimage > scan.log > /dev/null
>>
>> Please compress the logs before sending them to the list.  They tend to
>> get a bit verbose ;-)
>
> Attached to this reply.  ( I assume you have a typo in the 2nd command,
> you want 2> captured to the file,  though the resulting logs are nearly
> identical?)

Yes, my bad, I ment "2> scan.log" and did not expect a very different
log if the interpreter didn't load.  The help.log indicates that the
interpreter doesn't load, as I expected.  You have a

  usb 0x04b8 0x013a

in your /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf that should *not* be there.  I have no
idea how it got in there, unless you did so manually.  Take it out and
check whether that makes things work.  If not, read on.

The post installation scripts that come with the iscan related packages
normally set things up to work out of the box.  Seeing that you are on
Gentoo, that may not have worked for you.  You can fix that up with

  sudo iscan-registry --add interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x013a \
    /usr/lib/iscan/libesintA1 /usr/share/iscan/esfwA1.bin

assuming everything is in the normal locations.  This should modify
/var/lib/iscan/interpreter which is parsed by the epkowa backend.

Hmm, I now see from your log that the epkowa backend is looking in
/var/lib/lib/iscan for that file.  That's may be due to a slightly
different ./configure time variable.  See if you have something in
/var/lib/iscan and move it to /var/lib/lib/iscan (or make the latter
a symlink to the former).  That might also fix things.

If you really don't want to mess with these files below /var/, just put

  interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x013a /usr/lib/iscan/libesintA1 /usr/share/iscan/esfwA1.bin

to your /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf.  The stuff below /var/ is just an
"easy" way for the package management system to make interpreters
(un)available as they are (un)installed.

> Thanks for looking at this for me.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962