[sane-devel] Epson V600 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Dec 17 04:25:02 UTC 2013

George Clark writes:

> Hi,
>
> Success!   Thanks for the help ... More comments below as I had to
> revise your instructions a bit, probably due to gentoo.

Good to know it's fixed.

> On 12/16/2013 02:35 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> [snip]
>> The post installation scripts that come with the iscan related packages
>> normally set things up to work out of the box.  Seeing that you are on
>> Gentoo, that may not have worked for you.  You can fix that up with
>>
>>   sudo iscan-registry --add interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x013a \
>>     /usr/lib/iscan/libesintA1 /usr/share/iscan/esfwA1.bin
>>
>> assuming everything is in the normal locations.  This should modify
>> /var/lib/iscan/interpreter which is parsed by the epkowa backend.
>
> The "normal locations" assumption is the key.  After locating the files,
> I had to use:
>
> sudo iscan-registry --add interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x013a
> /opt/iscan/lib/libesintA1 /usr/share/iscan/esfwA1.bin
>
> On gentoo, the firmware is in /usr/share,  but the .so files are in /opt

I guess that whoever made the Gentoo package wanted to move the firmware
below /opt/iscan as well but its location is baked into the .so file :-|

>> Hmm, I now see from your log that the epkowa backend is looking in
>> /var/lib/lib/iscan for that file.  That's may be due to a slightly
>> different ./configure time variable.  See if you have something in
>> /var/lib/iscan and move it to /var/lib/lib/iscan (or make the latter
>> a symlink to the former).  That might also fix things.
> The files are indeed installed in /var/lib/lib/iscan for whatever
> reason.   Probably an error in the gentoo ebuild,   But it's consistent,
> so iscan is looking in the correct place.  I didn't have to move anything.

That's something todo with the build of the iscan package.  I vaguely
remember that the handling of localstatedir differs a bit between
distributions.  The iscan debian/rules and rpm .spec files insert a
/lib/ of their own but some distributions already tag that onto their
localstatedir value themselves.

>> Hope this helps,
> Yes indeed.  With the registry correct,  it's loading now without any
> significant delay.    Thanks again for the help
>
> By the way, I just checked the Gentoo ebuild for the gt-x820 plugin.  It
> *does* correctly register the interpreter at the required locations.   I
> have no idea now why my system was broken,  but to be certain, I just
> uninstalled and then re-installed iscan-plugin-gt-x820,   and the
> firmware was correctly removed, and then added to the registry.   And
> everything is still working.
>
> George Clark

Glad things work again for you,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962