[sane-devel] imageCLASS MF4570dw tester available for two days

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Dec 26 00:04:00 UTC 2013

Yuval Levy writes:

> I take inspiration from another thread on this mailing list to complete
> the information.
>
> On 12/25/2013 03:38 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Your lists of configuration files below /etc/sane.d/ look suspiciously
>> short.
>
> My configuration seemed to be vanilla to me, but then I realize that
> there is nothing vanilla in trying to help remote troubleshooting, so to
> complete the information:

Indeed, remote troubleshooting is sometimes pretty close to staring at a
crystal ball ;-)

>> [...] and expected canon configuration file (pixma.conf, I think)?
>
> actually there is no pixma.conf file, just four (!) files starting with
> canon.  quite confusing, but not critically so as I was able to get around.

I'm completely stumped as to why you only see four files there.  There
should be close to 80!

>>   $ dpkg-query --show libsane
>
> libsane:amd64   1.0.23-0ubuntu3
>
> the stock 'buntu one.  I only built and installed the sane-backends from
> git.

Eh, how did you configure that build?  Did it by any change zap or
clobber bits and pieces from the stock 'buntu libsane package you
installed?

>>   $ dpkg-query --listfiles libsane | grep /etc/sane.d/
>
> I limited the grep only to the canon configuration files, of which the
> one I changed is listed:
>
> /etc/sane.d/canon_dr.conf
>
> I added the following lines (based on the sane-find-scanner output):
>
> # MF4570dw
> usb 0x04a9 0x275a

Hmm, according to the SANE supported devices info[1], this scanner is
supported (though untested) by the pixma backend.

 [1] http://sane.alioth.debian.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

> and indeed /etc/sane.d/dll.conf has a default uncommented entry canon_dr.
>
> Could it be that I am experiencing this bug:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/313504>?
>
> I am not convinced, because
> (1) scanimage does not even get to the errors during device I/O
> (2) even blacklisting usbpl and usb_storage (for testing purposes only,
> my father-in-law will kill me if his external USB backup drive stops
> working) did not change anything.

Very unlikely because, as you implied, you don't even seem to get to the
state where scanimage tries to communicate with the device.  That said,
we may as well look at what's going on inside scanimage with:

  SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128 scanimage -L

to make sure the dll backend finds and loads the right backends.  If you
think the canon_dr one is the one you need (note: I don't), then

  SANE_DEBUG_CANON_DR=128 scanimage -L

may tell you what it finds.

> And back to the specific situation with the MF4570dw, I am more
> interested to get it to work over ethernet/wifi than over USB.

Let's get it recognized over USB first.  Network is another can of
worms (if that doesn't work but USB does).

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962