[sane-devel] usb connection found, but scanners not identified...

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Dec 26 00:13:48 UTC 2013

Ilias Miroslav writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> thanks for you hints; here we go:
>
> Now I am with the Epson SX400 scanner/printer. I deativated ppa's of
> rolf bench's sane-backends, and returned to the default for Ubuntu
> 13.10 - 1.0.23.
>
> ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.dpkg-query --show libsane
> libsane:amd64   1.0.23-0ubuntu3
> libsane:i386    1.0.23-0ubuntu3
>
> Strange, the /etc/sane.d/ directory is empty, there are no conf
> files. Why ? A reinstalled/repaired the libsane package several times.

I have no clue, whatsoever.  I've looked through Ubuntu's packaging for
sane-backends and can find nothing out of the ordinary there that would
make these files disappear.

> ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.ls /etc/sane.d/
> dll.d/
>
> The package lists a lot of them:
> ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.dpkg-query --listfiles libsane | grep /etc/sane.d
> /etc/sane.d/dc240.conf
> /etc/sane.d/sp15c.conf
> /etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf
> /etc/sane.d/dc210.conf
> /etc/sane.d/tamarack.conf
> .
> .

I would have expected these to be installed and present in /etc/sane.d/.

> ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.sudo sane-find-scanner
> .
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0cf3 [ATHEROS], product=0x9271 [USB2.0 WLAN]) at libusb:001:002
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
>
> lsusb gives:  Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

That is *not* your EPSON SX400 but your wireless card.  The SX400 should
show up with ID 04b8:084a.  If you want to use the SX400 over a network
connection, the default sane-backends packages are very unlikely to
support that.  Try the iscan packages available from Epson[1].

 [1] http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

You need iscan-data, iscan and the network plugin.  Have a look at
/etc/sane.d/dll.d/epkowa.conf after installation and follow the advice
in that file's section on network attached devices.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962