[sane-devel] Handling of bug reports and patches

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 8 17:05:53 UTC 2013

Dear Stef,

Am Donnerstag, den 07.02.2013, 22:42 +0100 schrieb Stef:
> On 07/02/2013 12:59, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > yesterday I created several new tickets and attached patches to some of
> > them, like [1].
> >
> >          [#314016] Cppcheck: [backend/hp-device.c:351,430]: (error) Possible null pointer dereference
> >
> > Looking at the Git history it looks like though that for example the
> > last commit was submitted and discussed on this mailing list, sane-devel
> > [2].
> >
> >          commit 883d19145255ca098b89a9c2a5939c69034c98d8
> >          Author: Rolf Bensch <roben-guest at alioth.debian.org>
> >          Date:   Wed Feb 6 22:16:58 2013 +0100
> >
> >              fixed button support for Canon Pixma MG6200
> >
> > So to know what to do and what the current process is to get patches in,
> > should I bring the issues up to this list or should I just wait and
> > leave them in the Alioth tracker?

> > [1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314016&group_id=30186&atid=410366
> > [2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-February/thread.html

>      opening a bug and sending a mail, or sending only a mail are OK for
> me. Opening a bug, may not be enough, specially if it is not affected to
> anyone, or if it is too broad. The #313848 is a good example, it spans
> other several backends, is not affected to anybody and has this
> unattractive comment 'there may be some false positives'.
>
>      Since I have more things to do than time to do it, I'd rather not
> dig into a big report to see if I have something to fix. And when I (too
> rarely) look at the issue tracker, I prefer to look into reports that
> have clear description.

looking at the Git commit log, it looks like you are the main developer.
Even project leader?

So if you feel like that about the bug tracker, could documentation
please be updated, so people do not spend time by registering at Alioth
and use the cumbersome process to enter a ticket and can just contact
the mailing list?

Thanks,

Paul