[sane-devel] Git best practices for proper application of patches

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:31:33 UTC 2013

Sane is an ancient project by FLOSS standards, and in those many
years, has developed some bad habits. Some of these are by necessity,
as it is difficult or impossible to properly review code for hardware
you don't have. Some of these habits are by choice- most of us would
rather use our limited hours to write code for hardware we do have,
than write docs or sometimes even update tickets. We get enough
'proper' procedure in our day jobs :)  We also have a massive number
of developers who have moved on to other interests, yet their backends
are still (marginally) supported by the sane project. This increases
the burden on the remaining devs somewhat.

All-in-all, sane is a bit of a mess. I'll be the first to take the
blame for that, as I have not done a good job recruiting new devs, and
I have not kept up with all the housekeeping duties. Releases are
sporadic, bugs are not assigned, known issues to core infrastructure
are not fixed, and sometimes moderated emails sit for a day or two
before I get a chance to review them. So, I am acutely aware of your
concerns, and agree with some of them.

However, I do NOT like your methods. It appears that you know very
little about sane, its protocol, or it's history. Yet you find it
necessary to ask bug-reporting end users for an education (when their
request is perfectly clear) [1], you give incorrect information in the
bug tracker [2][3], and you waste the bug reporters time asking them
to provide useless data like a description of the scanner or a
pointless downstream bug report [4].

So, how about you talk less, and code more. Get the patches you
submitted to completion (so otherwise busy folks like stef don't have
to do it for you). Find some more bugs in the tracker to produce
patches for. Be prepared to spend your own money to buy scanners just
so you can verify your code. Then, consider picking up one of the
unmaintained backends. That is how the rest of us got started. Once
you reach that point, you will have a much better understanding about
what the problems are with SANE, and you will be in a better position
to help correct them.

[1]https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410366&aid=313734&group_id=30186
[2]https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314021&group_id=30186&atid=410366
[3]https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314019&group_id=30186&atid=410366