[sane-devel] Problems with xsane

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:49:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Beate Silbermann
<beate.silbermann at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have any problems with xsane and scan.
> I have a Canon PIXMA MP490 multi-function peripheral. I installed the print
> driver from canon. Printing allready works fine. But I can't scan with ist.
> Allways when I open xsane and hit scan, I lose my network connection and the
> scan doesn't work.

Hello,
If you installed the Canon driver, you can't use Xsane to access,
since the SANE driver is completely different program from the Canon
scanner program. To use the Canon scanner driver you need to start the
Canon program for scanning.

Anyhow, for SANE, the the MP490 is supported but it depends on your
version of SANE. Also, I am not sure if it has been confirmed to work.
I suspect you may have permission problems, or else the argument you
need to give scanimage must be different. Can you try as root? And
also running xsane as root?

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug