[sane-devel] Problems with MX712 via Network

warnes greg at warnes.net
Wed Jul 17 15:49:29 UTC 2013

Hi All,

First, thanks for all the work that goes into running a project like this!
I'm providing this information to help debugging the Canon PIXMA MX710
series support.

I have a brand new Canon Pixma MX712 ($54.99 at BJ's!). Since the sane-pixma
1.0.23 driver wasn't happy, I've installed sane-backends 1.0.24git, and I'm
having mixed success scanning documents.

At times, everything runs nicely, other times I get connection or I/O
errors.  Sometimes there seems to be no trigger for the errors, other times
they seem to be triggered by a problem, such as a paper-jam in the
auto-document feeder.

O/S:        Ubuntu 13.04
Frontend: SimpleScan (when it works)
SANE version:
               scanimage -V
               scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

Results of successful scanimage -T:   success.txt
<http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/success.txt>
Results of failed scanimage -T:  failure.txt
<http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/failure.txt>

Turning off the printer when it is not working *sometimes* resolves the
problem.

-Greg