[sane-devel] Xerox 3220 USB problem

ABC abc at telekom.ru
Sun Jun 30 11:06:49 UTC 2013

Alex,

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 01:56:08PM +0300, Alex Eftimie wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM, ABC <abc at telekom.ru> wrote:
> >
> > It maybe be becasue (it is possible) that smfp using different scanning
> > mode, like different resolution. (And then doing some image conversion
> > internally.) xerox_mfp driver's settings are 'physical' for the device.
>
> Well, I'm setting the resolution myself, with --resolution=300 (the
> same for xerox_mfp and smfp). Also, I'm using as color mode: "Lineart"
> for xerox_mfp and "Black and White - Line Art" for smfp. But still 4
> seconds vs 10 seconds. Can I get 'physical' with smfp :D?

It is possible that smfp is using different actual scanning mode, like
different resolution, and then doing some image conversion internally.

smfp is proprietary so you should contact lovely Xerox/Samsung for
explanations.

> > I wonder what you meant by this:
> >
> >> I managed to get it working by using the proprietary drivers from
> >> ... but the usb problem remains.
> >
> > Did you mean there is different usb problem with smfp driver? And what
> > was usb problem with xerox_mfp?
>
> The usb problem with xerox_mfp was that `scanimage -L` shows the
> xerox_mfp device only once, then it disappears. I need to replug the
> USB in order to see it again, but this also means I cannot scan with
> xerox_mfp. I can only reproduce this on a new laptop with usb 3.0
> ports. Same kernel and SANE, old laptop -> no problem.
>
> There is no problem with smfp, aside from the speed.

Ah. Thanks for exmplaining.

> I can only reproduce this on a new laptop with usb 3.0

xerox_mfp driver is also using internal sanei library for workign with
usb. So problem may be there. (I don't know what smfp driver is using.)

-abc