[sane-devel] Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 11:52:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM, VK <list-sane-devel at kutty.cc> wrote:

> m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Honestly, I always overwrite the system sane, but I'm a sane
>> developer, and like my version better than anything the OS ships :) If
>> you want to install in another directory, you have to do some tricks
>> with ld or symbolic links to get programs to load them. See section
>> 3.1 of http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux (recently updated)
>>
>> forget gdb, its basically never useful with sane. Instead, use our
>> debugging env vars:
>>
>> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L
>>
>> That will show you the directories of the files it is using. Once that
>> is loading the new libs, then we can debug the fujitsu backend with
>> something similar:
>>
>> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage -L
>> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage --mode=Color --resolution=300 >
>> foo.pnm 2>foo.log
>>
>> allan
>>

> Thanks for the debugging tips. I also received a [private ?] response about this
> issue being fixed in the 20130301 snapshot. Unfortunately, since that SEGV, my
> scanner doesn't show up as far as the OS is concerned. Switched back to a
> Windows machine that was working before, and that no longer sees it either.
>
> Been too busy to troubleshoot further; multiple variables involved. Will have
> another go over the weekend. It's annoying that this unit doesn't have a power
> or reset button.

shutting the lid turns off the scanner. If you look closely, you can
see the tab on the left side of the lid, and the rectangular button it
pushes on the scanner. You have to hold it down for a few seconds.

The machine might only show up to the root account on your system,
since the permissions are not set by the current version of sane, and
a new sane install from source does not attempt to change them.

allan