[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE 700F

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 16:19:27 UTC 2013

> I've installed sane-backends-1.0.22 and when I run 'scanimage -L' and
> 'sane-find-scanner' I get different results depending on 1) if I'm root v.
> user, and 2) if I run from within sane-backends-1.0.22/backends or not.
> !?!?

At a guess, the distro you're using has altered the install convention
such that a source build is not integrating with the
distribution-shipped hotplug/udev/systemd rules.  It also sounds like
the backends are also not installed where the distro expects.

I know for a fact that getting a source build to work on, eg, Fedora,
will be an exercise in reading the Fedora package's spec files
carefully.

Most of the install documentation shipped with the current sane
backends is out of date, incorrect for a given distribution, or both.
It still talks about the 2.6 kernel series as if it were new...

Monty